Monday, November 5, 2007

I Never Forget a Face

It is rare that I have to converse with a defendant regarding his or her case outside of the four walls of 3C. On occasion, it does happen. Sometimes, I encounter defendants in the most awkward situations. One time, when I was still wet behind the ears in my prosecutorial career, I went to a watering hole. This watering hole was within the confines of a hotel, as the the place in which I was living did not have any freestanding bars with windows. As a rule, I do not frequent bars without windows. Well, I don't make four steps, when out of no where comes this voice, "Madame, D.A." Those two words, spoken out of court, made me stop in my tracks. I looked around frantically, when the host at the bar smiled at me. He then proceeded to tell me all about how he had previously gotten into trouble, of which the direct result was that he shot himself in the face. He pointed out a thin, pink scar that traveled crookedly up his right cheek. He informed he that he was better now and asked that I show mercy to him next week when his other cases scheduled. It was one of the more awkward moments of my non-teenage years that I remember.

Today, I had another encounter with a defendant outside of court, although less awkward. Today's calendar was a small one, and all the cases were moved before we broke for lunch. While I was in my office catching up on some paperwork, I was told that someone was there to see me. I go to the receptionist area of the office, and I see a young man with dreads and a multi-colored New York Yankees ball cap. The first thing I noticed about him was his "grill." For those of you not in the know, a "grill" is gold teeth that the youth today sometimes feel the need to insert into their mouths. Prior to prosecuting juvenile delinquents, I was under the impression that all "grills" were the same. I learned, in a middle of a trial no less, that "grills" must be fitted. The young man before me had an impressive "grill," both top and bottom teeth shimmered in gold.

The following is just a snippet of our conversation:

Him: You remember me. I have the weirdest name you have ever heard.
Me: I see a lot of people, sir. I don't recognize the name.

Him: I was in court last week. I got a failure to appear and an order for arrest was issued, but I was in court. You gave me my next court date. Don't you remember?

Him: I remember seeing you, although I cannot remember the date. I see a lot of people, but I recognize you. I remember seeing your tattoos.

Him: That's right. I saw you looking at them in court that day.
Me: Well, they're on your face...so...I was going to look at them.

The defendant had four Chinese figures at various points on his face. I do recall speaking to this young man in court that day. I also recall that while I was speaking to him I kept thinking, "You have four tattoos on your face." I might not have remembered his name, but I didn't forget his face.

No comments: